In this episode of The Story of Woman, I chat to not one but TWO amazing authors, Karrie Fransman and Jonathon Plackett about their books, Gender Swapped Fairy Tales and Gender Swapped Greek Myths.
Fairytales and Greek Myths have been told and re-told for thousands of years, but never like this. Taking these well-known stories that form the archetypes we still see today, Karrie and Jonathon make one vital change - they swapped all the genders. This simple change created characters and stories never seen before, and shine a light on the gender binaries in language, the roles we adopt and the stories we've been telling our children for generations.
Some topics of discussion include:
- Where the inspiration for this idea came from
- The binary-busting characters and worlds these books create
- How these stories illuminate existing power imbalances
- The books’ importance, especially for boys and men with the lack of empathetic and nurturing male figures in mainstream narratives
- An urgent call to action for creators to make more stories like this!
Powered by The Trouble Club: use the code STORY25 to get 25% off all Trouble ticket sales and membership payments
Transcription is available here
Buy the books:
Mentioned in the episode:
- Cyberman - Veronika Muchitsch
- The Expanse - James S. A. Corey
Become a Patron for access to bonus content and to support the podcast, or buy me a (metaphorical) coffee
Follow along: Instagram | Twitter | Facebook | Tik Tok | Youtube | LinkedIn
Subscribe to the newsletter
Follow us on Apple Podcasts, Spotify, or wherever you get your podcasts - and be sure to rate and review to help other people find us!
Explore The Story of Woman book recommendations in the US and the UK - purchases support the podcast AND local bookstores 🤩