In this episode, I talk with content creator, author, podcast host and public speaker Natalie Lee about her book, Feeling Myself: How I Shed My Shame To Find Sexual Freedom and You Can Too. Natalie is an honest, frank writer, who describes herself as ‘on a liberating road of disruption to challenge and help you shed your shame’.
Sex remains an enormous taboo, and is still a source of shame and embarrassment for many people. Somehow, even in the 21st century, we haven’t got it right in educating young people about healthy attitudes to sex, consent and our bodies, and this plays into the experiences of many women when it comes to sexual relationships. Exposing the stigma that many of us feel with sex, Natalie Lee takes us through her own journey from traumatic beginnings to sexual freedom. She tells the story of learning to be your true self in a society that doesn't prioritize women’s pleasure, and provides tools for every woman to feel empowered and experience their own emancipation.
Some topics of discussion include:
- Why sex is so important
- Where the shame and stigma surrounding women’s pleasure comes from
- Virginity, porn, orgasms and masturbation
- The problem with calling some sexual acts “foreplay”
- How Natalie shed her shame to find sexual freedom
- Tools for shedding our own shame, and how to raise kids to do the same
Powered by The Trouble Club: use the code STORY25 to get 25% off all Trouble ticket sales and membership payments
Become a Patreon for access to the bonus interview with Natalie!
Transcription is available here
Mentioned in the episode:
- How To Do The Work - Dr Nicole LePera
- Bi - Julie Shaw
- Finding Me - Viola Davis
- Existential Kink - Carolyn Elliott
- Come As You Are - Emily Nagoski
- Find Your True Voice - Emmy Brunner
- “Discovering” the clitoris in 2005
Become a Patron for access to bonus content and to support the podcast, or buy me a (metaphorical) coffee
Follow along: Instagram | Twitter | Facebook | Tik Tok | Youtube | LinkedIn
Subscribe to the newsletter
Follow us on Apple Podcasts, Spotify, or wherever you get your podcasts - and be sure to rate and review to help other people find us!
Explore The Story of Woman book recommendations in the US and the UK - purchases support the podcast AND local bookstores 🤩