In this episode, I talk with Katrina Majkut about her book, The Adventures and Discoveries of a Feminist Bride, a personal and powerful prenuptial journey through Western wedding culture.
Katrina demonstrates how there is no such thing as ‘traditional marriage’ or a ‘traditional wedding’, as both have been evolving for centuries, and she unpicks the importance of updating our outdated traditions that support the wage gap, street harassment, sex and gender discrimination, and limit reproductive rights. With a deep dive into behavioral economics, social psychology and a good dash of humor, Katrina offers a fresh take on how wedding rituals - done properly - can better support marriage equality and respect diverse people’s needs.
Some topics of discussion include:
- Gendered socialisation that begins long before the legal marriage age
- The importance of language and the decision to change your name, or not
- Bachelorette parties and the very minor differences in duties for bridesmaids and groomsmen
- Why revisiting our marital traditions is necessary in the fight for gender equity
- Ways to modernise a wedding without compromising on what's important to you
Powered by The Trouble Club: use the code STORY25 to get 25% off all Trouble ticket sales and membership payments
The quotes you will hear read during the interview are taken directly from the book, The Adventures and Discoveries of a Feminist Bride.
Transcription is available here
Mentioned in the episode:
- Strapless - Deborah Davis
- Bad Feminist - Roxane Gay
- We Should All Be Feminists - Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie
Become a Patron for access to bonus content and to support the podcast, or buy me a (metaphorical) coffee
Follow along: Instagram | Twitter | Facebook | Tik Tok | Youtube | LinkedIn
Subscribe to the newsletter
Follow us on Apple Podcasts, Spotify, or wherever you get your podcasts - and be sure to rate and review to help other people find us!
Explore The Story of Woman book recommendations in the US and the UK - purchases support the podcast AND local bookstores 🤩